Monday, June 18, 2012

New Beginnings



Nora and Ryan's first day of preschool was today.  An incredible amount of preparation has gone into this in the weeks and months leading up to today... not to mention the 5 hours of shopping and list-making and email-sending and organizing that occurred yesterday afternoon.

John dropped them off today since I have to work for a living.  Last night I set out bags of back-up clothes, health forms/registration forms/emergency forms/sunscreen forms/parent agreement forms, swim suits/towels/water shoes (today was weekly water day), nap bedding and lovies, Ryan's special drink, lunches, clothes for today and probably some other stuff.  And I whined and complained that I wouldn't be able to see them off to school. Caitlin, by the way, is doing "day camp" at the same school--but of  course, she is in the elementary class now.  So, everyone was so excited to all be in the same school.

John dropped them off, had some discussions with their teacher (I've met with her 2-3 times leading up to this--mainly about Ryan's food stuff) and went to the gym this morning...and made a bet with himself about how long it would take me to call and ask how things went (I called at 10am) and how many times I would try to call him while he was at the gym (2 calls, 1 text).  I was thinking of them all day.   The director of the center emailed me in the afternoon to say that her daughter and Caitlin were playing all day together and that Nora and Ryan fit right in and were having a blast.  John replied  back to my text: "everything was great."  This is not that much of a thing for him, I guess.



When we had a nanny for the last 2+ years, I got a daily report of what Ryan ate and drank and other important things that we keep track of--today, I get nothing.  Ryan reported that he had a great day--yes, he liked school--kids threw water at him during water play--he did not do fingerpainting--he ate 2 bites of lunch (ugh--my whole worry about this is that he won't eat).  Nora reported that she had a great day--she played with her teacher--she has new friends but can't remember their names--she loved nap time--she loved snack time.  There were no accidents of the potty-kind, nor any other type.

They are excited for Day2 on Wednesday.
So, success!  This is a big milestone as we've been hoping to get to this point for the last 2 years.  Our prayer is that Ryan can continue to gain weight. 

Also, i can't figure out how to get the text alignment right. oh well. sorry.



4 comments:

Steph - the 313 said...

oh, I can imagine some of the things that you are feeling right now. sigh. time really goes by so fast, doesn't it? (I write this after witnessing Liz break down into tantrums multiple times today. lol but each day with them is truly so precious) Your kids are adorable. Can't believe it's already time for them to have so much independence! Much love!

pjsmith said...

So super wonderful!

pjsmith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grandpa Buddy - Grandma Joanie said...

A "Great Day" for your dear family!

Enjoy each precious memory!

Love&Hugs
GJoanie & GBuddy