Wednesday, February 23, 2011

RSV

Sunday Feb 13th I took Nora to Urgent Care--hoping to get someone to listen to her chest and look in her ear. She had been sickish for 2 weeks or so and spiked a fever the night before and got into a major coughing fit which made her puke in her crib. So I figured I'd take her in and get her checked out so that I didn't have to take the day off work (again) on Monday to do it.

We waited hours. They put the pulse oximeter on her and it read 91-92%. Hmmmm--doctor thought---she doesn't look like she's 92%---she's too pink---she's too happy---she's too playful. Let's get another pulse oximeter in here, that one must be wrong. Oh, hhmmmm, 91% again...maybe my technique is bad...get a nurse in here....another pulse oximeter....another nurse.
In all 4 separate people checked her pulse ox with 4 separate pulse oximeters. All 90-92%. Not good enough. She bought herself a chest xray and an ambulance ride to the ER. I had to sign her out "against medical advice" in order to spare an unnecessary medical expense of an ambulance ride. I drove her over to the ER myself where she was started on oxygen, iv fluids (which she didn't need), got an influenza swab and an RSV rinse. Oh, and at least an overnight stay until she could pick up her oxygen levels. The RSV was positive. Diagnosis: RSV Bronchiolitis. Probably because she's a preemie. Most 2 year olds would not be hospitalized for RSV.

She was on and off oxygen for the duration of her hospitalization. She was back to her normal self by about Tuesday, but just could not keep her pulse ox up to a reasonable level. And also, for the record, I was right--she had an ear infection--it just wasn't obvious until Tuesday. And also, Nana came and saved the week, as usual.


Typical Nora glare. As long as she is still giving dirty looks, I know she is just fine.

Meanwhile, Ryan was at home with John and Caitlin. I was getting reports that he was looking for Nora, asking for mama. He was sick, probably RSV, but was oxygenating well on Tuesday when John took him to the doc just to be sure. But, by Friday, he was very ill appearing. Our nanny called me and said she thought he wasn't right, she wasn't comfortable with the way his cough sounded all of a sudden. I thought I would come home and take him back to get check out at the pediatrician.

When I got home, he was napping--I watched him for a minute--he was breathing like 60 breaths per minute while resting, so I got him up and threw him in the car. At the doc's his pulse ox was 89-91%. Great. To the ER we went. Chest Xray showed multiple areas of pneumonia. Likely secondary to RSV. Oxygen, albuterol, ceftriaxone. Admission. Also, an ear infection.

Mercifully, they were able to get Nora and Ryan in the same room. So, while Nana stayed home with Caitlin who was such a trooper, the other 4 of us camped out at the hospital for the weekend. Ryan perked up by Saturday and was off his oxygen by Sunday.



Caitlin was reunited on Sunday after spending the night with some dear friends. Sunday also happened to be Ryan and Nora's birthday, so we spent that in the hospital.


Thanks, Botts!


Both kids were discharged Monday and transitioned to oral antibiotics. Nora after 8 days. Ryan after 3 days. Mom and Dad's diagnosis: exhaustion.

Happy 2nd Birthday, my loves. I love you both to pieces and am so glad you are on the mend. Please stay well. XOXO

1 comment:

Grandpa Buddy - Grandma Joanie said...

So good to know, Nora and Ryan are home and
getting better! We send our love to all!

Keep warm, happy and healthy!