Tuesday, June 16, 2009

the barbie talk

ever since my women's studies class on pop culture, a Barbie fan i am not.  Caitlin has a few barbie items she's received as gifts and I've always referred to Barbie as "the girl," in an effort to not acknowledge Barbie formally in my house.  Tonight Caitlin was getting ready for bed and said "I'm going to wear this (generic-looking) barrette in my hair tomorrow so I can be pretty."  As I was thinking of something to say to that, she took out her "girl" toothbrush (Barbie) and said "her name is Barbie, mom." so, I figured I'd explain why I don't care for Barbie--three-year-old style.  conversation as follows as we were walking downstairs:
Me: I don't like that Barbie tells us that it's important to look a certain way.  what's important is what's on the inside--that we are nice and we treat other people well. does that make sense?
C:yes
we then approached daddy and I asked C to tell daddy what we'd talked about...my sneaky method of reinforcing the  lesson
C: the important thing is that I'm cute

sigh.  so I asked daddy to explain why I don't like Barbie again.  Daddy went into a very long sermon on women's self-image and self-respect and had to be stopped a few times by me giving him signals from across the room as he was dangerously close to highlighting obesity in a way that would only make this curious and talkative 3 year old sensitive to other people's sizes--anyway, his point was the same as mine:Barbie thinks what you look like is important-he mentioned being a good person and being smart as more desirable characteristics.    
Me: Caitlin, what did daddy say?
C:  Barbie is not smart...but I like her because she is cute.

oh well.

5 comments:

pjsmith said...

We are thinking and praying for all of you. Enjoyed the post!

Love, Mom & Dad (Nana & Grandpa Wayne)

amy said...

love that sweet girl (:

Shannon said...

She cracks me up. Glad you guys are able to laugh in the midst of it all.

Jody said...

Laughing on the floor at that conversation!! Sounds pretty much the way our conversations go with Ava about the same topics.

I can't tell you how many times we're in the grocery store and a stranger says to Ava: "you're sooo cute!" and I jump in and say "She's also a hard worker, very smart and very, very strong!" Ava follows it up with "Yeah and I'm cute too!"


I think it's a losing battle that we'll just continue to fight. Glad we're not the only ones.

Contuning prayers here...and much love.

amy said...

this is such a great story. ben has made me read it out loud twice becuase he thinks its so funny. love and miss you guys.